Tax filing and forms

This FAQ contains the following information:

1. I need to file my taxes. How do I get the tax documents I need from OANDA? back to top

OANDA does not report taxes on behalf of our clients, and as a result we do not provide any tax forms relating to profit/loss on your account (e.g. 1099-B form). The information you would need to complete your tax reporting can be found on your annual account statement, which you can download from your My Account page by clicking on 'View account statements'. Information about other types of tax form OANDA does provide can be found below.

2. I can't see my annual account statement for the most recent year. When will it be available? back to top

Annual account statements for the previous calendar year typically become available for download in late February of the following year.

​​​​​​3. How do I report my trading profits/losses on my taxes? back to top

Unfortunately, OANDA cannot provide tax advice. If you have questions about how to properly file your taxes with regard to your trading activity, please consult a tax professional or your the tax authority in your jurisdiction.

4. What is a 1099-INT/1042-S/T5 form? Why are none or some of these forms not available for my account? back to top

The 1099-INT (US) and T5 (Canada) are tax forms related to interest income, and are required to report interest earned on your account balance. For any given calendar year, these forms are only generated if your account earned balance interest above a certain amount in that year: for US accounts, the threshold is 10 USD; for Canadian accounts it is 50 CAD (i.e. if the amount of balance interest earned was less than the threshold amount, no form would be generated for that year). The 1042-S tax form is also related to interest income, and is made available only to clients with OANDA Corp. (US division) who live outside of the US and are not US citizens. These forms allow OANDA clients who are non-US persons to report their interest earnings to their local tax authority if necessary. You do not need to send this form to the IRS (US tax authority). You can download your 1099-INT, 1042-S or T5 forms (if available) from the My Account page. Please note that no tax forms are provided for accounts held with OANDA Europe or OANDA Australia, so clients with these divisions will not see the aforementioned tax forms on their accounts.

Additional Notes:
  • • These forms are used for balance interest only, and do not apply to trade financing charges (trade interest) or trading profit/loss.
  • • OANDA no longer pays interest on account balances as of 2015, so 1099-INT/1042-S/T5 forms will not be generated for any year after 2015.

Get more help