Using our mobile app or OANDA Web Trading? Please see our OANDA Mobile Trading user guide or OANDA Web Trading user guide. To set up user preferences for your OANDA Desktop Trading program, click on ‘Tools’ and then click on ‘User Preferences’. The window has seven tabs:
The Chart tab lets you customize your chart features. Below are some of the things you are able to customize. Follow the numbered chart and corresponding image below to locate your desired feature.
1. Check the ‘Draw Horizontal Graph Line’ box to show a horizontal crosshair running across the chart area at the cursor location.
2. Check the ‘Draw Vertical Graph Line’ box to show a vertical crosshair running across the chart area at the cursor location.
3. Check the ‘Draw Graph Information’ box to show detailed rate information in the bottom-left corner of the graph for the time at the cursor location. This information varies with the type of graph you've selected.
4. Check the ‘Auto-extend Trendlines Left’ box to extend trendlines from the beginning of the graph to the left of the graph. For information on trendlines, see drawing trendlines.
5. Check the ‘Auto-extend Trendlines Right’ box to extend trendlines from the beginning to the right of the graph. For information on trendlines, see drawing trendlines.
6. Check the ‘Magnetic Trendlines’ box to automatically snap trendlines to the exchange rate curve in the graph.
7. Click on the drop-down menu next to ‘Default Trendline Colour’ to set the style(s) of your trendline (i.e. dotted line, solid line, etc.).
8. Click on the drop-down menu next to ‘Choose Trendline Style’ to show detailed rate information in the bottom-left corner of the graph for the time at the cursor location. This information will vary based on the type of graph you've selected.
9. Check the ‘Hide Empty Candles’ box to ignore empty candlesticks when calculating overlay/indicator data.
10. Click on the drop-down menu next to ‘Daily Candle Start/End Time’ to choose the daily time of day at which candlesticks start and end.
The rates tab lets you specify which currency pairs and commodities are visible on your fxTrade interface.
The Periods tab lets you set the desired timeframes available on the program. For example, if you wish to trade on daily charts, you can add the ‘1 day’ option to the ‘Selected Time Periods’ list.
The trading tab lets you change the default parameters that appear when you're making a trade.
The Locale tab lets you choose settings related to your language and geographic location.
The Sounds tab lets you add your own sound alerts for various events.
The MISC tab lets you choose various miscellaneous settings.